Guidance on Immigration Casework

In certain cases, it is possible for your local Member of Parliament (MP) to assist with your immigration matter, there are strict rules which state what an MP can and can’t do and it is always important to remember that MP’s are not above the law and so cannot overturn decisions that have been made by the courts.

MPs can do the following:

  • Contact the Home Office to ask for the status of your application.
  • If appropriate, raise cases with the Immigration Minister or Home Secretary directly. This could be if you have received a negative decision, have been waiting a very long time for a decision and want a response, if you are detained, or if you are facing removal or deportation.
  • Chase delays - if there has been a long delay in a decision, your MP can push for a decision to be made. Make sure you want a decision, however, and be prepared for that decision to be negative. If you have a lawyer, always ask them first before involving an MP.
  • Assist with matters relating to welfare benefits and No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)
  • Where appropriate provide referrals to Law Centers and provide information about relevant charities and organizations.
  • Ask for your reporting conditions to be reduced or amended.

MPs can’t do the following:

  • Overturn decisions made in the court of law.
  • Give immigration advice
  • Fill in forms and applications
  • Change the law, although Matt can raise policy issues with the relevant Minister with the hope of changing Home Office guidelines.

Seeking Legal Advice:
When making an immigration application it is always advisable to seek qualified and regulated immigration advice. You can search for a qualified advisor accredited by the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) here: